As football season is coming to a close, it's time to pay respect to my husband's all time favorite team. . . the 49ers. This is a group effort. Coming up with 49 reasons to love anything is no small task, but here goes!
1. It's their turn to win! The 49ers have been, well. . . let's face it BAD for almost a decade. We're glad to see them work their way back into the winner's circle.
2. Lilliana says: "They have their own math problem! 7 x 7 = 49ers!
3. Ronnie Lott: Toughest football player ever, broke his finger in a game
and had them chop off the end of it so he could keep playing.
4. Again from Lilli: "Tony Romo isn't on the team!"
5. Some of their best players are named Alex Smith, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, and Reggie Smith.
6. They are the quintessential underdogs, even when they beat the 2010 Super Bowl winners, The New Orleans Saints.
7. Lilliana says "The recent game between the Saints and the 9ers was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen."
8. From Daniel: "They have the same colors as the USC Trojans."
9. They've had the greatest quarterback of all time on the team. . .Joe Montana.
10. The Ravens are going to beat the Patriots, coached by John Harbaugh and the 49ers are coached by Jim Harbaugh. How cool would it be to have 2 brothers playing each other in the Superbowl?
11. *The Catch*
12. They've had the greatest wide receiver of all time on the team. . . Jerry Rice.
13. 4+9=13, which is a pretty cool number.
14. Again, from Lilli: "They aren't Penn State."
15. They had the only full backfield inducted into the hall of fame.
16. Greatest 49er football coach, Bill Walsh, was compared to Darth Vader. Let's face it, that's cool.
17. They've been around for 66 years.
18. Their first owner died in the middle of the game but the team still came from behind to beat the Chicago Bears 21-17.
19. They've never lost a Super Bowl.
20. The current coach is a rookie.
21. They have Michael Crabtree on the team who was instrumental in preventing the #1Texas Longhorns from having an undefeated season in 2008.
22. Frank Gore suffered a season ending knee injury (tear to the ACL) in 2002 but has come back to have an illustrious NFL career.
23. 49ers pan for gold. Gold = money. Everyone loves money.
24. Alex Smith figured out how to score.
25. Their cheer leaders aren't ugly.
27. California knows how to party.
28. They're "winning." (probably because they have Adonis DNA)
29. They are getting a new stadium in 2015.
30. They are the only football team with a number for a name.
31. Coach Jim Harbaugh is a local. He went to nearby Palo Alto High School.
32. 49ers lead the all time series with the Giants 18-17 which includes play off record of 4-3.
33. Frank Gore runs fast and he can catch.
34. Did you know that a 49er is a double handed trapeze skiff type sailing dinghy? It's been used in the Olympics every year since it debuted in 2000. BONUS! Thanks Erin for bringing that to my attention.
35. They've won 5 super bowls
36. Scored the most points in a Super Bowl. 55 against the Denver Broncos
38. The Catch 1, 2, and 3 were all 3rd down and 3 yards to go.
39. West Coast Offense
40. They won a game in Chicago when it was -26 degrees
41. Jerry Rice, 49ers wide receiver from 1984-2000, still holds the records for career receptions, career receiving yards, career touchdown receptions, total touchdowns, career points scored, and consecutive games with a catch.
42. Denim was invented in San Fransisco.
44. San Fransisco's Sour Dough bread is so good!
45. Alex Smith can really throw the ball!
46. Lilliana says "They are from California, where you can lay on the beach and then catch some nice waves."
47. Jerry Rice was the first football player to go on Dancing with the Stars
48. Fortune Cookies were invented in San Fransisco
49. If you don't cheer for the 49ers, your California choices are limited to the Chargers and the Raiders. Nuff said.